Tuesday, January 20, 2009

BCP: Apple Crostada


After my disastrous attempt at shortbread, I was determined to find pastry success with the Apple Crostada. Ina describes this delicacy as her "go-to" dessert and one where even crumbs don't survive. Expectations were high.
I took my time and followed the recipe just as written. I started on the pastry component which did actually use a food processor (wasn't just me being lazy!). After I mixed everything together and chilled the dough for a bit, I rolled the pastry between plastic wrap (my idea, I might add) to get it thin enough. This was definitely a crucial step and I would have been sunk without that plastic wrap--I never would have been able to pry it off a cutting board or my counter.
While I chilled the dough, I peeled a bunch of apples (easier than I thought!), mixed together streusel-y crust and was ready for assembly. I piled the apples on the dough and topped with the streusel.
The result? (Side note: sorry--totally forgot to take an actual pic of the final product but the picture above is at the oven ready stage--still very pretty!). A delicious, flaky, fruity pastry pie. This dessert is actually quite light and so good. It's a bit of work but it would definitely impress!

No comments: