Tuesday, February 3, 2009

BCP: Rugelach


When I told my Dad I was making Rugelach as part of my holiday cookie craze, he thought I was talking about lettuce. I'm a little nervous I'm mispronouncing the name--does it sound like Arugula??
Whatever it's called, it's good! I'm still mastering those pie crust skills which again comes into play with these little beauties. The cookie part of this cookie is made from a cream cheese dough (that you can mix in a food processor!). The dough was very easy to make. I'm still getting in the groove of rolling out the dough but as long as I use plastic wrap I seem to manage.
The filling is composed of nuts, brown sugar, apricot preserves and a few other goodies. Again, just a few pulses in the food processor and its ready.
I rolled the dough into a pizza basically. Using the preserves mixture, I spread a thin layer on the dough. Then I cut the dough into 16 wedges with a pizza cutter. Starting at the outer edge, I rolled each wedge and a cute little cookie emerged.
I brought these and a few other treats to a dinner with friends. I didn't think these cookies would be a huge hit but surprisingly they were the hands-down favorite. They were warm and soft (I thought they would be hard and dry). A little time intensive but they were appreciated.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i say rugelach the same way you do. i've made it before, just not ina's version. did you have any problems at all with this dough?

Cookbook Queen said...

This dough was very easy to work with (and make!).