Monday, November 17, 2008

Julia Child, French Laundry, Alinea, Gourmet....Barefoot Contessa?!


No, I don't think I'm in the same league with people cooking Thomas Keller's inspired creations but there are several reasons I selected Ina Garten's Barefoot Contessa Parties! as my initial cookbook.

1) I don't want to waste food. I'm married with two young children. While I feel that my husband and kids are very supportive of whatever I'm doing, I'm pretty sure they'd draw the line at pig snout and calf hooves. Unfortunately, my husband is super picky with vegetables: no mushrooms, tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini or squash (to name a few). Do you understand what I'm working with here?!?! So I selected a book that could feed my family--not my trash can. I just don't live in a world where fois gras is coveted.

2) I love Ina's easy, breezy style. Whether reading her many cookbooks or watching her show on Food Network, she is welcoming and warm. She never seems stressed or pretentious. I know people have a love/hate thing for her but I hope you'll learn to embrace your inner-Ina.

3) The food is awesome! It's not snooty nor does it try too hard. Barefoot Contessa aims to comfort. And who couldn't use some of that as we approach the colder months (well those of you who don't live in Florida with me!). Not to mention Barefoot Contessa Parties is a mere 81 recipes--I think I can knock this out in a few months.

4) This book allows me to dip my toe in the water--before I dive in head first.

Let's get started!

No comments: