Monday, November 24, 2008

BCP: Lobster, er, Crab Rolls



My kids went to Grandma's this past weekend so I thought it the perfect opportunity to make one of the more expensive dishes from Barefoot Contessa Parites (BCP). Mainly because I could scale down the recipe to feed two instead of our usual family of four.

I was excited to make the Lobster Rolls. They looked yummy but not too frou-frou. I've had lobster a few times on a cruise but I've never made it at home...and apparently never will.

After perusing two separate grocery stores, neither carrying lobster (am I out of season??), I decided to switch gears and use crab as my base. I didn't break any rules though (ha!): Ina says if lobster is too expensive to substitute crab or shrimp. I chose crab because it's a bit more high end and we almost never eat it.


Sweetbay had just received a shipment of beautiful stone crab claws so I ordered a pound for about $10. The other ingredients were pantry staples: mayo, celery, dill weed, S&P. Hubby and I had fun cracking the claws and making the recipe together--something we don't do very often.

The end result: The crab rolls were tasty but nothing extraordinary. I served them on potato rolls (which I love!). The meat was tender but I didn't think this recipe had any more flavor than a tuna sandwich. It sounds exciting using crab and it was fun to eat (especially paired with some celebratory champagne) but I don't think I'd make these again.

No comments: