Saturday, November 29, 2008

BCP: Sour Cream Coffee Cake




I'll begin by saying making a cake from scratch is a lot of work. This cake especially, had so many dang steps to it that I wanted to beat someone about halfway through. Couple that with a few screw-ups on my end and it was a long afternoon!

Ina calls this coffee cake her homemade version of a Drake's Cake. I've never had a Drake's Cake so can't really compare.

You need a tube pan to make this cake. I don't have one so I substituted a bundt cake pan. This essentially delivers the same results.

The best way to begin is to work on your mise en place. I'll admit I usually skip this step and just fly by the seat of my pant adding this and that and making a huge mess. But because you have to dump and mix so many different ingredients I decided to treat my self and mise en place everything first (can that be a verb?).



The brown sugar component is the struesal and was comprised of several ingredients. Once I made the batter, I poured half in the greased pan, added a layer of struesal, poured the remaining batter in and topped with the rest of the struesal. Here is where my first error occurred. Since my bundt cake has ridges, I should have actually layered struesal/batter/struesal/batter because after the cake is cooked, you are supposed to flip the cake over and not have struesal on top. Oh well.

I baked the cake and flipped the cake to cool. I then whisked together maple syrup and confectioner's sugar for the glaze. Unfortunately, I did not whisk this nearly enough so there were quite a few unsightly clumps (error #2).



So, I flipped the cake again and it looked nice. The time the bottom for glazed instead of the top but the flavors were all there. My family loves sweets but this probably would not fall into our favorites category. The flavor and texture were awesome but it was a tad dry. The cake still dissppeared within a couple days so it was obviously pretty good!

No comments: